We took a road trip to our fishing cabin on the
Old Colorado River, then drove to Williams AZ and took the train into the Grand Canyon and stayed overnight. The next day we hiked and shopped and lunched, then returned to Williams on the afternoon train.
Before leaving Williams the following morning, we went to Bearizona,
a wildlife animal park that opened in 2010 and was loads of fun.
After driving through and seeing the animals in
habitat,
I spent a lot of time in the barnyard
with the chickens and
pigs, peacocks and goats.
For several reasons I've yet to upload the hundreds of pictures I took. But soon!
(the photos above are all from the internet)
* * * * *
One of the things I've been working on since our return
is getting things in the garage sorted through.
I just took a big load of collectables into my consignment space,
and have lots more ready to go.
In the midst of all the culling, I came across some things
I'd completely forgotten about.
And that's where A Favorite Thing comes in ~ I love surprises!
in four different patterns of hand-painted pansies and roses
in purple and pink and yellow
in purple and pink and yellow
I brought them in, gave them a gentle wash,
and added them to my sideboard in the dining room.
I'm ready for company ~ let's eat cake!
I love happening upon lovely things like this.
* * * * *
Another fun find was this 1936 falling-apart-copy of The Housekeepers Daughter
It was silly and humorous, and a quick read.
A movie adaptation of the storyline was made in 1939,
with Joan Bennett, Adolphe Menjou, and John Hubbard.
I'll have to watch for it on TCM.
Something interesting I'd never seen before
was on the copyright page of the book:
"Because of the acute shortage of regular book cloths under
war-time rationing, this book is bound in "leatherette", a
sturdy paper fabric especially designed for this purpose."
* * * * *
And the final surprise was a very special win from Marcia at
These handmade gift tags were waiting for me when I returned from our trip
6 tags of two different designs, strung with black satin ribbon,
with gilded edges and black feathers.
They're really quite beautiful!
I'm going to have to do some fancy shopping and wrapping
to match the quality of these tags!
Something French perhaps...
Something French perhaps...
Merci beaucoup Marcia!
* * * * *
And on a weather note, Fall has finally come to SoCal.
Our days are still warm, but mornings and evenings are getting chilly.
I'm sad to have to close the windows soon.
Last night I enjoyed the crickets and distant train whistles while reading.
Counting My Blessings
xo Susy
I'm linking up with Claudia at
for









i love that first photo. the color is incredible!
ReplyDeletehappy you had a fun time.
Hi! Such cool photos! It sounds like your trip was great! I love all your tag treasures too! Your dishes are so pretty and I can see cake in them!
ReplyDeleteI have a garage full of Princess House and I am trying various ways to sell it. So I am going to send a letter to all the former hostesses and customers I had in those years when the economy was great! I have most everything I need and so I am off on a new quest to sell my overflow! I have had a little success on ebay. I am looking for other options too. Wish me luck!
Glad I stopped by and hope your weekend is terrific! We have some really cold temps suddenly and traces of snow flitting thru thr air! Sigh!
Take care and Hugs to you
Anne
Dear Susy, so good to see a post from you. The china is lovely with that delicate purple floral edge. It looks like you had a wonderful vacation. Xo, olive
ReplyDeleteHi Susy, I'm coming over from Claudia's party and I'm very happy to met you! My husband and I are hoping to travel to the west and explore the Grand Canyon area, so I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your photos! Those dishes are very pretty. And I think you will have to find a little french something for your tres belle tags! Linda
ReplyDeletewhat a beautiful photo of the canyon thankyou
ReplyDeleteOur trip to the Grand Canyon was one of the best vacations we have ever had. Oh, the beauty of God's handiwork!
ReplyDeleteYour new plates are beautiful! I know you'll enjoy them.
Smiles,
Carol
Love the train, the plates and the tags. Lucky you! Have a nice weekend, Regula.
ReplyDeleteYour trip was the perfect way to
ReplyDeleteend a summer and move into Fall.
So glad you had a great time..
Sandy
Thank goodness your hot weather has broken! I've never been to the Grand Canyon, isn't that a shame?
ReplyDeleteLove, love the stack of beautiful plates. And the book. And the message about wartime rationing! Everything is wonderful, Susy. Thanks so much for joining in this week!
xo
Claudia
Lovely post! Great photos!
ReplyDeleteLovely Bavarian dessert dishes!! It makes the food taste better when you eat it out of something pretty!!
ReplyDeleteOoooo, how could you forget those plates! Love them! I had one like the rose plate, wonder where it is . . .
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting! Linda
That first photo is just extraordinarily beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLove those little china plates...so pretty!
Wow! I'm sure your trip was amazing! How nice to return to receiving gift tags from Marcia at The Shop Around the Corner. She's a sweetheart and so very talented. I love your Bavarian plates.
ReplyDeleteI love the plates! I am visiting from A Favorite Thing Saturday and have enjoyed perusing your blog! Also joined your flock! Hope you get a chance to stop by Still Woods!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful week!
Blessing from Still Woods Farmhouse
Oh, a train ride through the Grand Canyon. That would be fun. Would love to do that. I can't take much hiking any more. That would be a good way to see it.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing your photos even these are beautiful. Glad you could get away. Can't believe you had those beautiful dishes hiding in your garage. A wonderful find.
It's starting to cool here too. This morning it was too cool to sit outside to do my bible study with out putting on sweats and they are still packed away.
Susi, so good to see you back. I'm actually relieved to hear that you were on vacation. I was honestly concerned for you. Whew.
ReplyDeleteThe plates are my favorite. They are so pretty.
I love how you displayed the tags in that lovely collage, but I am even more relieved to hear that you are well and that the tags didn't get lost.
Have a great week.
Much love,
Marcia