Turning thoughts toward home and hearts to God

Turning thoughts toward home and hearts to God

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Story Continues

To continue my city-life story about the lime tree....

Although I had picked almost all the "limes" off the tree, I'd left about a dozen that were a little too small.  And, after I'd found out the so-called lime tree was actually a naval orange tree, I waited with eager anticipation.  I was genuinely excited about eating fruit from my own tree for the first time ev-ver in my life. I patiently watched for them to get big and juicy... leaving them on the tree to ripen.

On the very day that I decided I was going to pick them, I came home from work to find the tree completely empty.  Orange rinds were sitting in little piles in the dirt near the block wall at the back of the yard.  The workers, apparently, had enjoyed them that afternoon while sitting down for lunch!  And left the dishes for me!! 

If you keep your mouth shut, you will stay out of trouble. Proverbs 21:23

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! Isn't that just the way it goes sometimes!

    I hope in years that followed you got lots of juicy oranges from your tree.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regretfully, the tree was one of many that was removed shortly after that to make way for the swimming pool ):

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man... Well, I guess the workers felt entitled since the previous oranges had been offered prematurely under a false identity. They were probably praying that you wouldnt get to them first.

    I'm sad for the tree and happy for tbe pool. I didnt even look out back last time I was there.

    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're more understanding than I was at the time. This was at our last house - so I'm over it. I think. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok. Then I didnt miss anything. I really do understand though. I have always wanted a lemon tree in one of our backyards and it has eluded me. I would have settled for an orange tree.

    KJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been singing this all morning...

    ♫ Orange tree, very pretty;
    And the orange pulp is sweet;
    But when called a lime and picked early,
    It's impossible to eat! ♫

    Food for thought,
    KJ

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments ~ thanks for stopping by! xo Susy